Biometrics Research Projects
Biometrics is a specific area of bioengineering in which biological signatures (fingerprint, voice, face, DNA) is used for identification or authentication in law enforcement, national security, authentication, e-commerce, video analytics, and medical applications.
Specific research projects include collection of biometric data sets, rapid DNA analysis, fusion of multimodal biometric data, multispectral imaging, border security, extraction of BMI and age information from face images, non-cooperative human identification, and development of cloud-based biometric applications for model devices. Sponsors for this work include the Department of Justice, the National Science Foundation, the Department of Homeland Security, and the Center for Identification Technology's consortium of over 20 private and public organizations. Faculty efforts leverage ongoing collaborations with the University of Arizona, Clarkson University, Michigan State University, SUNY-Buffalo and industry.
Research in the biometrics field is led by the
Biometrics & Identification Innovation Center, which consolidates the programs,
activities and information-sharing related to biometrics research. BIIC consists
of 14 core faculty who are internationally recognized biometric scientists specializing
in different aspect of biometrics research. They have expertise in virtually every
aspect of biometric research, including using hard and soft biometrics traits,
multimodal, cross-modal, mobile biometrics, anti-spoofing, biometric cryptosystem
and data and video analytics.
WVU also recently signed a memorandum of understanding with the Federal Bureau of Investigation that designates WVU as a lead academic partner in the biometric field.
If you are interested in specific areas of biometric research, feel free to contact the WVU faculty members working in your area of interest.
- Donald Adjeroh - Data analytics for multimedia systems
- Thirimachos Bourlai - Multi-spectral imaging, computer vision and pattern recognition, medical image processing
- Jeremy Dawson - Sensing and collection of biometric data, rapid DNA analysis
- Gianfranco Doretto - Computer vision, non-cooperative human identification, biomedical imaging
- Victor Fragoso - 3D-computer vision, data analytics
- Guodong Guo - Computer vision, assessment of facial image quality, extraction of BMI and age information from facial images
- Xin Li - Compressive and collective sensing, image and video analytics
- Nasser Nasrabadi - Image and video analytics, data fusion
- Saiph Savage - Social networks and social computing systems
- Natalia Schmid - Iris-based identification, statistical signal processing
- Matthew Valenti - Biometric applications for mobile devices, cloud-based biometric applications