Biometric Systems Engineering Program Accreditation and Assessment
Program Mission Statement
The objective of the Bachelor of Science degree program in biometric systems engineering (BSE) is to produce graduates who have the knowledge, skills, and attitudes that will ensure success in professional positions in business, industry, research, government service, or in graduate study as well as professional schools.
Program Educational Objectives
The Program Educational Objectives (PEO) of the Biometric Systems Engineering (BSE) program at West Virginia University is to produce graduates who will apply their knowledge and skills to achieve success in their careers in industry, research, government service, or academia. It is expected that in the first five years after graduation our graduates will achieve success and proficiency in their profession, be recognized as leaders, and contribute to the betterment well-being of society.
Student Learning Outcomes
- An ability to identify, formulate, and solve complex engineering problems by applying principles of engineering, science, and mathematics
- An ability to apply engineering design to produce solutions that meet specified needs with consideration of public health, safety, and welfare, as well as global, cultural, social, environmental, and economic factors
- An ability to communicate effectively with a range of audiences
- An ability to recognize ethical and professional responsibilities in engineering situations and make informed judgments, which must consider the impact of engineering solutions in global, economic, environmental, and societal contexts
- An ability to function effectively on a team whose members together provide leadership, create a collaborative and inclusive environment, establish goals, plan tasks, and meet objectives
- An ability to develop and conduct appropriate experimentation, analyze and interpret data, and use engineering judgment to draw conclusions
- An ability to acquire and apply new knowledge as needed, using appropriate learning strategies.
- An ability to understand the significance of biometric traits, explain the components of a biometric system, and assess its performance.
Enrollment and Graduation Numbers
Enrollment and graduation numbers for the current academic year can be found at
Enrollment and graduation data for previous years can be found at