Program Mission Statement
To harbor a nurturing learning environment for students as well as provide a quality education via high-quality academic programs with both practical and theoretical backgrounds, hands-on research experience, and membership into relevant professional societies
The Bachelor of Science degree in computer science is accredited by the Computing Accreditation Commission of ABET, http://www.abet.org, under the General Criteria and the Program Criteria for Computer Science
Program Educational Objectives
The Program Educational Objectives (PEO) of the computer science program at the West Virginia University are to produce graduates who will apply their knowledge of programming languages and paradigms, software development processes, hardware, services, the theory of computation, and other computing topics to achieve success in their careers in industry, research, government service, or academia. It is expected that early career graduates will demonstrate their adaptability to new technologies as they achieve success and proficiency in their profession, become recognized as leaders, and contribute to the betterment of society.
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon graduation, all Bachelors of Science students in Computer Science will:
- Analyze a complex computing problem and to apply principles of computing and other relevant disciplines to identify solutions.
- Design, implement, and evaluate a computing-based solution to meet a given set of computing requirements in the context of the program's discipline.
- Communicate effectively in a variety of professional contexts.
- Recognize professional responsibilities and make informed judgments in computing practice based on legal and ethical principles.
- Function effectively as a member or leader of a team engaged in activities appropriate to the program's discipline.
- Apply computer science theory and software development fundamentals to produce computing-based solutions.
Enrollment and Graduation Numbers
Enrollment and graduation numbers for the current academic year can be found at https://www.statler.wvu.edu/academics/accreditation-and-assessment.